Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Al-Anon 12-Step Recovery Program: Love It Or Leave It

For those who don't know or have never heard of Al-anon, it is a 12-step recovery program that is the counter-part to the Alcoholics Anonymous 12-step recovery program. It was initiated by Lois Wilson (the wife of Bill Wilson; one of the original founders of Alcoholics Anonymous) as a safe haven and support group for anyone who is dealing with a loved ones alcoholism (and/or drug addiction)

I have been attending Al-anon meetings for 20 years and came away from my first meeting thinking..."What a bunch of losers, as well as... I heard some interesting things here."

As a professional family substance abuse counselor, I encourage my clients to attend Al-anon and find out if it is something they wish to incorporate in their recovery. Some swear by it, others are shunned.

I have compiled a list of 16 opinions; 8 hip-hip hooray! 8 bah humbug!

See these at; The Huffington Post

Also see; Thank you and I invite you to visit my website at www.familyrecoverysolutions.com

Beyond Co-dependency: And Getting Better All the Time by Melody Beattie

Understanding Co-Dependency by Sharon Wegscheider-Cruse

1 comment:

Donna Marie said...

I've added you to my blogroll.
I'm a couger, sort of- my husband is only 10 yrs ygr than me! LOL
I just celebrated 32 yrs in alanon! I also went to ACoAs, SLAA & DA meeting for 5 yrs. I know there are humbuggers out there- even some of my clients - BUT the program saved my life! and gave me the live I was meant to have.
And I finally stared blogging. YEAH