Alateen is part of Al-Anon, which helps families and friends of alcoholics recover from the effects of living with the problem drinking of a relative or friend. Alateen is a recovery program for young people. Alateen groups are sponsored by Al-Anon members.
The program of recovery is adapted from Alcoholics Anonymous and is based upon the Twelve Steps, Twelve Traditions, and the Twelve Concepts of Service.
The only requirement of membership is that there be a problem of alcoholism in a relative or friend.
Al-Anon/Alateen is not affiliated with any other organization or outside entity.
What Alateen members learn
- compulsive drinking is a disease.
- they can detach themselves emotionally from the drinker’s problems while continuing to love the person.
- they are not the cause of anyone else’s drinking or behavior.
- they cannot change or control anyone but themselves.
- they have spiritual and intellectual resources with which to develop their own potentials, no matter what happens at home.
- they can build satisfying and rewarding life experiences for themselves.
|Alateen: Hope for Children of Alcoholics |
by Al-Anon Family Group Head Inc
Read more about this title...